As part of Towards Zero, we’re installing side road activated speed technology to reduce the risk of collisions at this intersection, without permanently lowering speeds
Side road activated speed technology is being installed at intersections across Victoria, to reduce the risk of crashes.
When a vehicle travelling on Dunkeld-Cavendish Road or Penshurst-Dunkeld Road approaches Glenelg Highway, new sensors will trigger an electronic speed sign that reduces the speed from 100km/h to 70km/h on Glenelg Highway.
The electronic speed limit sign will also be activated by vehicles waiting to turn right from Glenelg Highway onto either Dunkeld-Cavendish Road or Penshurst-Dunkeld Road.
The reduced speed limit will stay activated until there are no more vehicles on the side roads waiting to enter or cross the main road.
We’re also installing flexible safety barriers at the intersection, to prevent the risk of run-off-road crashes into the new electronic signs.
During the past five years, 70% of fatal intersection crashes in regional Victoria happened on high-speed roads.
Intersections in regional areas have a greater risk due to higher travel speeds, particularly where small side roads meet main roads.
This intersection near Dunkeld has seen two crashes in the past five years, with one resulting in serious injuries.
Side road activated speeds will increase safety at some of Victoria’s highest risk intersections by:
- instructing drivers on the main road to slow down if there are other vehicles approaching from side roads
- giving drivers on the main road more time to react if side traffic fails to give way
- giving drivers on side roads more time to assess gaps in traffic and enter the main road safely
- letting drivers know they’re approaching an intersection, which will prepare them for any merging traffic
- significantly reducing the severity of crashes due to the reduced speed limit when traffic is merging from side roads.
A similar program in New Zealand has reduced serious and fatal crashes at intersections by 89% since 2012
Learn more about side road activated speeds at the Safer Roads website
Get in touch
Call: 0452 514 595