Update - August 2020
We’ve completed all service relocations at the intersection of Station Road and Saunders Road. This included moving water, power and telecommunication assets to allow for the installation of traffic signals. Thank you for your patience while these preliminary works were carried out.
Work to install traffic signals, a dedicated right turn lane and left turn slip lanes will commence late 2020. We’ll be staging the works to avoid poor weather conditions that could impact the project. Works are planned to be completed by mid-2022. We’ll keep you updated about timing and traffic impacts as we get closer to the start of construction.
Find out more about projects in the Gisborne area.
More than a thousand native seedlings have been planted at Magnet Hill in New Gisborne to support ecological restoration at the extinct volcano that is now home to wildlife including lizards, bats and snakes. To make room for the intersection upgrade, we’ll be removing 18 trees and we’ve committed to balance this by investing in local revegetation projects.
To support the growth and development of the Gisborne area, the Victorian Government is investing $11.7 million to upgrade the Station/Saunders Roads (Gisborne-Kilmore Road) intersection in New Gisborne.
Based on our planning investigations and consultation with the community, we’ve developed a solution to upgrade this busy intersection to:
- improve traffic flow
- improve safety for pedestrians
- improve safety for cyclists
- support the local economy
- support the efficiency of the road network.
From 2011–2014, we worked with Macedon Ranges Shire Council to investigate options to improve the way people and traffic move through the busy and growing Gisborne area. This included:
- community consultation
- stakeholder meetings to hear ideas from the local community groups
- information gathering about traffic volume and movement including data on pedestrians and other road users
- engaging specialist traffic engineer advice
- drafting concept designs.
As a result of our investigations, we have already upgraded the Calder Freeway - Station Road intersections with the installation of two roundabouts.
Our design for the Station Road and Saunders Road intersection upgrade includes:
- installation of traffic lights
- dedicated right turn out of Saunders Road
- left-turn slip lanes to help vehicles turn into and out of Saunders Road
- new pedestrian operated crossings including traffic lights across Station Road to the shared paths near the intersection and a zebra crossing to be installed in the north bound service lane of Station Road.
Traffic signals will:
- increase safety at the intersection, especially for pedestrians accessing nearby aged care and childcare, local schools and train station
- reduce congestion and improve traffic flow for local and commuting traffic
- improve safety and efficiency for heavy trucks and vehicles accessing New Gisborne’s industrial precinct
- support Gisborne’s local economy by facilitating the growth of New Gisborne’s industrial precinct
- support active transport for locals making short trips within the Gisborne area.
Get in touch
If you’d like more information or have any questions, please get in touch.
Write: Regional Roads Victoria, 53-61 Lansell Street, East Bendigo, VIC 3550