Update - May 2023
The Beaufort Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) held a Public Hearing between Tuesday 26 July 2022 and 8 August 2022 for the Beaufort bypass EES and draft Planning Scheme Amendment (PSA C50pyrn).
The IAC considered all submissions, presentations and evidence to inform its report which was submitted to the Minister for Planning on 12 October, 2022.
For more information about the Hearing visit theEngage Victoria website.
The EES process will conclude with the Minister for Planning issuing an assessment of the project. We then intend to request an amendment to the Pyrenees Planning Scheme (PSA C50pyrn).
There is no funding for construction of a bypass.
The EES and draft PSA C50pyrn were on exhibition for public review and comment for 30 business days between 28 March 2022 and 13 May 2022.
During this time, members of the public made written submissions on the EES and draft PSA. Submissions were made directly to Planning Panels Victoria (PPV).
The submission process was independently collected by PPV.
The EES and draft PSA documents are available to read at the bottom of this page.
Inquiry and Advisory Committee process
The Minister for Planning has appointed the Beaufort Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) under the Environment Effects Act 1978 and Planning and Environment Act 1987 to advise on the Beaufort bypass EES, draft PSA C50pyrn and the submissions received on the proposed Beaufort Bypass project.
The IAC reviewed the EES, draft PSA and public submissions, and reviewed and considered the environmental effects of the bypass planning project in accordance with Terms of Reference issued by the Minister for Planning.
The IAC held a Directions Hearing on 17 June 2022 where the necessary arrangements and timetable for the public hearing were established.
The Public Hearing concluded on 8 August 2022.
Members of the public and any other parties who made a request via a written submission, the online submission form or hard copy submission coversheet were heard at the Hearing.
For more information visit https://engage.vic.gov.au/beaufort-bypass-IAC.
The Victorian Minister for Planning declared that an EES was required for the bypass planning project under the Environment Effects Act (EEA) 1978 on 22 July 2015.
We prepared the EES and draft PSA C50pyrn, which the Minister for Planning allowed to be exhibited for public comment/submissions.
The EES identifies how the project plans to avoid, reduce and manage environmental impacts and discusses how the primary approvals follow the EES process.
The EES process will inform decision-making on the bypass planning project under Victorian legislation.
Further information about the EES process can be found on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) website at
Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act (EPBC) process
On 24 February 2021, the Federal Minister for the Environment determined that the bypass planning project is a ‘controlled action’ as it is likely to have a significant impact on Matters of National Environmental Significance (MNES), which are protected under the EPBC Act.
Submissions on the matters assessed for the purposes of the relevant provisions under the EPBC Act, were invited during the Public Exhibition period.
After considering the Victorian Minister for Planning’s assessment under the EEA, the Federal Minister for the Environment will then make a decision as to whether to approve the controlled action application for the Project under the EPBC Act.
Planning Scheme Amendment (PSA)
A draft PSA C50pyrn affecting the Pyrenees Planning Scheme was prepared and included in the exhibited documents (EES Attachment VI).
The draft PSA will enable the bypass planning project to be implemented in accordance with conditions contained within an incorporated document without the need for further planning permission. The PSA also includes Public Acquisition Overlay (PAO) to reserve land for road purposes and to enable that land to be acquired for the bypass planning project, should it be funded for construction in the future.
Submissions on the draft PSA were invited during the Public Exhibition period.
For information relating to the EES process, please call the Impact Assessment Unit (03) 8622 7633 or email [email protected].
For more information about the Beaufort Bypass, EES documentation and the draft PSA email [email protected] or call 133 778.
Planning Panels Victoria (PPV)
For information about the IAC process, please call Planning Panels Victoria on 136 186 or email [email protected]
EES and draft PSA documentation
EES Summary Document
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 00- Executive Summary
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 01- Introduction
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 02- Rational & Benefits
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 03- Project Alternatives
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 04- Project Description
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 05- Legislation
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 06- EES Assessment Framework
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 07- Consultation
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 08- Traffic
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 09- Biodiversity & Habitat
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 10- Cultural Heritage
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 11- Catchment Values & Hydrology
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 12- Social
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 13- Land Use & Economics
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 14- Amenity
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 15- Landscape & Visual
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 16- Soil & Geology
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 17- Environmental Management Framework
- Beaufort Bypass EES Chapter 18- Conclusion
EES Technical Appendices
- Appendix A – Beaufort Bypass Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment
- Appendix B – Beaufort Bypass Air Quality Impact Assessment
- Appendix C – Beaufort Bypass Flora and Fauna Impact Assessment
- Appendix C – Beaufort Bypass Flora and Fauna Impact Assessment Appendices
- Appendix D – Beaufort Bypass Groundwater Impact Assessment
- Appendix E – Beaufort Bypass Historic Heritage Impact Assessment
- Appendix F – Beaufort Bypass Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment
- Appendix G – Beaufort Bypass Planning and Landuse Impact Assessment
- Appendix H – Beaufort Bypass Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment
- Appendix I – Beaufort Bypass Regional Economy Impact Assessment
- Appendix J – Beaufort Bypass Social Impact Assessment
- Appendix K – Beaufort Bypass Soils and Geology Impact Assessment
- Appendix L – Beaufort Bypass Surface Water Impact Assessment
- Appendix M – Beaufort Bypass Traffic and Transport Impact Assessment
- Attachment I Consultation Report
- Attachment II Environmental Risk Assessment
- Attachment III Functional Design
- Attachment IV Options Assessment Report
- Attachment V Draft Planning Scheme Amendment
Other projects in the area
For more information about the Western Highway duplication, visit the Victoria's Big Build website.
To find out more about the planning for a Western Highway bypass of Ararat, visit the Ararat bypass planning study page.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about this project, please get in touch.
Email: [email protected]
Call: 133 778