We’re upgrading several sections of the Princes Highway (the Esplanade) in Lakes Entrance to improve safety and accessibility for all road users, and to support local business.
Following input from the community and key stakeholders, the improvements will include:
- Works to revitalise the foreshore, including footpath and lighting upgrades
- New pedestrian crossing lights to improve accessibility
- Pavement and drainage improvements to reduce the chance of flooding
- Intersection upgrades, making them safer for all users
All works are expected to be completed by mid-2021.
Update July 2019
Works are currently underway to upgrade the foreshore path between Carstairs Avenue and Barkes Avenue, including construction of two safer pedestrian crossings.
Crews are also upgrading the area between Mechanics Street and the slipway, with improvements to drainage, pavement and the foreshore path.
- Improvements to the foreshore footpath and carparks opposite Mechanics Street.
- An intersection upgrade at Carpenter Street, including new pedestrian crossing lights, is expected to be completed by December 2019.
- Installation of solar lighting to the foreshore path between the Bullock Island roundabout and Myer Street. A trial section between Mechanics Street and the slipway is expected to be completed by August 2019.
- An upgrade to the Myer Street intersection including removal of the slip lane and replacement with a dedicated left-turn lane, and improved landscaping. Works are expected to commence in mid-2020 and will include a raised safety platform similar to the Barkes Avenue intersection.
Artist’s impression of the upgraded Princes Highway-Myer Street intersection
- Improvements between Carpenter Street and Myer Street which include:
- Upgrade of the shopfront footpath, including widening by two metres;
- Construction of a new carpark behind the shops by East Gippsland Shire Council;
- Conversion of the on-road parallel parking to 45-degree parking;
- Development of foreshore greenspace through the removal of the existing carpark.
- A new parking bay at the Jemmys Point Lookout at Kalimna making it safer and easier for people to stop and take in the vista. A pedestrian refuge, new footpaths, intersection improvements and new bus stops have also been constructed.
- Intersection improvements and construction of a service road on the Esplanade at Laura Street, along with a new pedestrian crossing to the foreshore.
- An upgrade to the Barkes Avenue intersection including new pedestrian crossing lights, upgraded bus stops, street lighting, a pedestrian refuge and a raised safety platform.
- New pedestrian crossing lights, street lighting and pedestrian path connecting to the new boardwalk being constructed by East Gippsland Shire Council east of Mechanics Street.
- New caravan & boat parking on the Esplanade between Myer Street & Stock Street.
- Improved safety along the Princes Highway through Lakes Entrance for all road users, including pedestrians and cyclists
- Better access to the foreshore and CBD for pedestrians, cyclists and those with mobility issues
- Improved look and feel for the township, especially around the CBD, which will help boost the local economy
Artist’s impression of the proposed improvements to Princes Highway between Carpenter Street and Myer Street
Artist’s impression of the upgraded footpath between Carpenter Street and Myer Street
Get in touch
For more information about this project
Write: Regional Roads Victoria – Eastern Region, 120 Kay Street Traralgon 3844