We’re upgrading several sections of the Princes Highway (the Esplanade) in Lakes Entrance to improve safety and accessibility for all road users, and to support local business.
Following feedback from the community and key stakeholders, the improvements will include:
- Works to revitalise the foreshore, including footpath and lighting upgrade
- New pedestrian crossing lights to improve accessibility
- Pavement and drainage improvements to reduce the chance of flooding
- Intersection upgrades, making them safer for all users
Update - February 2020
Works are now complete on the Carpenter Street pedestrian crossing lights and we are anticipating the lights to be switched on in February 2020. Construction ceased over the busy holiday period and we have now returned to commence works on the foreshore carparks between Carpenter Street and the slipway. We anticipate these works will be completed, and construction will cease, by the school holiday period in late March 2020.
Footpath and carpark works are now complete on the foreshore between Carstairs Avenue and the slipway.
The solar lighting trial between Mechanics Street and the Coast Guard has received positive feedback, and we anticipate that we will be installing more of the lights between Bullock Island roundabout and Myer Street in late 2020.
The new pedestrian crossings at Carpenter Street.
Improvements recommencing in February 2020 which include;
- The continuation of the foreshore shared path and carparking upgrade from the slipway through to Carpenter Street
- Upgrading of the shopfront footpath & road drainage will then follow between Carstairs Avenue & Carpenter Street to enhance the centre of town. This project will commence at Carpenter Street and continue west to Carstairs Avenue. These works are anticipated to be completed by mid 2020.
- Improvements between Carpenter Street and Myer Street are anticipated to commence in mid 2020, which include:
- Upgrade of the shopfront footpath, including widening by at least two metres and landscaping
- Construction of a new carpark behind the shops by East Gippsland Shire Council
- Conversion of the on-road parallel parking to 45-degree parking and
- Development of foreshore greenspace, including new Norfolk Pines.
Artist’s impression of the proposed improvements to Princes Highway between Carpenter Street and Myer Street
- A safety upgrade to the Myer Street intersection including removal of the slip lane and replacement with a dedicated left-turn lane, and new landscaping. Works will include a raised safety platform, similar to the Barkes Avenue intersection, to improve accessibility for those with mobility issues. The project is anticipated to commence in late 2020.
Artist’s impression of the upgraded Princes Highway-Myer Street intersection
- Installation of solar lighting to the foreshore path between the Bullock Island roundabout and Myer Street. This will improve the safety and experience of the foreshore at night. A trial section of the new lighting was installed between Mechanics Street and the slipway in July 2019 and received positive feedback from the community. More of the lights between Bullock Island roundabout and Myer Street are anticipated to be rolled out by late 2020.
An example of new lighting
- New pedestrian crossings at the intersections of the Esplanade and Stock Street, Whiters Street, Clarkes Road and Middle Street to make access to the foreshore safer. These will be constructed throughout 2020.
- A new parking bay at the Kalimna Lookout making it safer and easier for people to stop and view the Gippsland Lakes. A pedestrian refuge, new footpaths, intersection improvements and new bus stops have also been constructed.
- Intersection improvements and construction of a service road on the Esplanade at Laura Street, along with a new pedestrian crossing to the foreshore.
- An upgrade to the Barkes Avenue intersection including new pedestrian crossing lights, upgraded bus stops, street lighting, a pedestrian refuge and a raised safety platform.
- A new pedestrian crossing lights and shared path east of Mechanics Street.
- Upgrading of the shared path between Carstairs Avenue & the slipway, including bridging the only gap in the foreshore path between Kalimna Lookout and Eastern Beach.
- Trial section of solar lighting on the foreshore path to the west of the Coast Guard.
- A new set of pedestrian crossing lights at the Carpenter Street intersection as well as a pedestrian refuge.
- New caravan & boat parking on the Esplanade between Myer Street & Stock Street.
Improving safety for all road users by:
- Improving and increasing pedestrian crossing opportunities.
- Improving parking on-road and in carparks.
- Implementing speed control measures.
- Improving the foreshore path to give recreational cyclists and pedestrians a more enjoyable experience.
Encouraging local business and jobs by:
- Improving footpaths to increase walk-by trade.
- Enhancing the look and feel of the town to encourage tourists to visit.
Get in touch
For more information about this project
Write: Regional Roads Victoria – Eastern Region, 120 Kay Street Traralgon 3844