We're delivering major upgrades in the Barwon South West region, including vital safety and maintenance improvements.
Our region spans over Victoria's south western reaches and encompasses communities from the cities of Greater Geelong and Warrnambool; the shires of Colac Otway, Corangamite, Glenelg, Golden Plains, Moyne, Southern Grampians and the Surf Coast; and the borough of Queenscliffe.
What you told us
In 2017, we met with your communities and heard what was important to you. This was included in Country Roads: Your insights, our actions and involved:
- Major reconstruction of roads serving Port of Portland
- Keeping Great Ocean Road open for tourism
- Widening narrow seal roads used by freight, school buses and tourists
- Multilingual signage for international tourists
- Enormous residential, commuter and tourism growth
- Safer cycling opportunities
- More inland routes to relieve Great Ocean Road congestion.
You can view and download our Country Roads: Your insights, our actions [PDF 10.85 Mb].What we're doing
Your feedback helped shape our plans for the regional road network across South Western Victoria.
The 2018/19 Budget enabled us to deliver a range of important projects including:
- Bellarine Highway and Lower Duneed Road
- Lavers Hill-Cobden Road and Warrnambool-Caramut Road
- Geelong Ring Road
The 2019/20 Budget will support the delivery of other important road repairs and rehabilitation works, such as:
- Camperdown-Lismore Road south of Lismore
- Sections of the Glenelg Highway near Skipton and Coleraine
- Colac-Lavers Hill Road between Kawarren and Ferguson
Meet your Regional Director
Vanessa Schernickau – Director, Barwon South West Region
Vanessa has over 20 years’ experience in senior leadership roles in the public sector, most recently as the Chief Executive Officer of the Great Ocean Road Coast Committee. Vanessa established her career delivering community and economic development portfolios for regional and metro local governments as well as for the Department of Education in the Northern Territory.
As a Great Ocean Road local, Vanessa has strong connections in the South West and is committed to working collaboratively to deliver an integrated transport network that puts people first so that you arrive safely and reliably at your destinations.