We’re helping regional councils improve safety with the $20 million Safe Travel in Local Streets Program.
The Safe Travel in Local Streets program is the Victorian Government’s commitment to improve the safety of local roads across regional Victoria, by awarding project grants to local councils.
This initiative involves council-led community consultation to address road safety issues on high-risk local roads in regional Victoria.
Regional councils work with local communities to understand their road safety concerns and determine the best approach to make high-risk streets safer for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
About the program
Safe Travel in Local Streets was created to support councils to upgrade safety in regional communities and improve local amenities by transforming roads that are high-risk or have a high-crash history.
The Safe Travel in Local Streets program supports projects that;
- enhance pedestrian and road user experience
- reduce safety risks
- implement road safety infrastructure
- improve amenities for residents and businesses.
Improving safety for all road-user groups in regional communities is the core objective of the Safe Travel in Local Streets program.
Safe Travel in Local Streets projects may include these road safety upgrades:
- bicycle lanes and facilities
- street narrowing
- speed cushions and road humps
- raised pavements and safety platforms
- wombat crossings
- improved line marking
- new small roundabouts
- modifications to existing roundabouts
- pinch points or partial street closures
- one-way streets and bicycle streets
- speed limit reviews
- safer pedestrian crossings.
All works funded under this program will be delivered by participating councils and are expected to be completed by June 2021.
Regional councils participating in the Safe Travel in Local Streets program are:
Baw Baw Shire Council
- Connor Street and Witton Street intersection, Warragul
- Young Street, Drouin
City of Greater Bendigo
- Barkly Street, Bendigo
- Averys Road, Eaglehawk
- Browning Street, Kangaroo Flat
- Hargreaves Street, Golden Square
- Nelson Street and Wood Street intersection, California Gully
- Sternberg Street and Skene Street, Kennington
City of Greater Geelong
- Kilgour Street, South Geelong
- Sparks Road, North Geelong
Glenelg Shire Council
- Percy Street, Portland
Greater Shepparton City Council
- Mooroopna area
- Shepparton central
Latrobe City Council
- Moe CBD
- Morwell CBD
- Traralgon CBD
Moyne Shire Council
- James Street, Port Fairy
Mildura Rural City Council
- San Mateo Avenue, Mildura
Warrnambool City Council
- Merrivale Drive, Warrnambool
Wellington Shire Council
- MacArthur Street and Market Street intersection, Sale
To see what’s happening on local roads in your area, visit our interactive map.
For more information
Call: 133 RRV (133 778), Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm