We're delivering major upgrades across the Loddon Mallee region in northern Victoria, including vital safety and maintenance improvements.
Our Northern Victorian region encompasses a large number of communities including the city of Greater Bendigo; the rural city of Swan Hill; and the shires of Buloke, Campaspe, Gunnawarra, Loddon, Macedon Ranges, Mitchell and Mount Alexander.
What you told us
In 2017, we met with your communities and heard what was important to you. This was included in the Country Roads: Your insights, our actions and involved:
- More river crossings
- Support for tourism in Charlton, Echuca and Wedderburn
- Alternative truck routes to avoid towns
- Tourism growing through Silo Art Trail & Sea Lake
- Safer cycling routes
- Protection of wildlife and native plant species
- Intensive farming of almonds, carrots and other produce has impacts
- More freight to be moved by rail
- Improve roads to keep pace with increased population, tourism and industry.
You can view and download our Country Roads: Your insights, our actions [PDF 10.85 Mb].
What we're doing
Your feedback helped shape our plans for the regional road network across Northern Victoria.
The 2018/19 Budget enabled us to deliver a range of important road repairs including:
- Murray Valley Highway, Echuca
- Midland Highway, Castlemaine
- Kilmore-Lancefield Road
The 2019/20 Budget will support the delivery of more road repair and rehabilitation works, such as:
- Sections of Midland Highway east of Elmore
- Sunraysia Highway near Karyrie
- Murray Valley Highway between Mystic Park and Lake Boga
- Lodden Valley Highway at Serpentine
Meet your Regional Director
Brian Westley - Acting Regional Director, Loddon Mallee Region
Born in Swan Hill and raised on a cattle farm in Balranald, Brian is a proud Bendigonian.
Having previously led maintenance and construction crews based out of northern Victoria; Brian is aware that the roads are the life blood of regional communities.
As Project Director of 2017’s Country Roads engagement project, Brian furthered his understanding of your values and knowledge. He’s committed to delivering a road network that gets you safely and reliably to your destinations.
An avid AFL fan and local premiership player, Brian’s passions include family, footy and a community that embraces social wellbeing, diversity, inclusion and the environment.