We're delivering major upgrades to Northern Victoria, including vital safety and maintenance improvements.
Our Northern Victorian region encompasses a large number of communities including the city of Greater Bendigo; the rural city of Swan Hill; and the shires of Buloke, Campaspe, Gunnawarra, Loddon, Macedon Ranges, Mitchell and Mount Alexander.
What you told us
We found out what was important to you when we met with your communities back in 2017:
- More river crossings
- Support for tourism in Charlton, Echuca and Wedderburn
- Alternative truck routes to avoid towns
- Tourism growing through Silo Art Trail & Sea Lake
- Safer cycling routes
- Protection of wildlife and native plant species
- Intensive farming of almonds, carrots and other produce has impacts
- More freight to be moved by rail
- Improve roads to keep pace with increased population, tourism and industry.
You can view and download our Country Roads: Your insights, our actions [PDF 10.85 Mb].
What we're doing
Your feedback was clear and has shaped our future plans for the regional road network across Northern Victoria.
The 2018/19 Budget enables us to deliver a range of important projects including:
- Barry Street/Main Street intersection upgrade and pedestrian operated signals, Romsey
- Bendigo-Redesdale Road planning towards safety and capacity improvements
- McIvor Highway, Junortoun planning towards safety and capacity improvements.
Meet your Regional Director
Brian Westley - Acting Regional Director, Northern Region
Born in Swan Hill and raised on a cattle farm in Balranald, Brian is a proud Bendigonian.
Having previously led maintenance and construction crews based out of northern Victoria; Brian is aware that the roads are the life blood of regional communities.
As Project Director of 2017’s Country Roads engagement project, Brian furthered his understanding of your values and knowledge. He’s committed to delivering a road network that gets you safely and reliably to your destinations.
An avid AFL fan and local premiership player, Brian’s passions include family, footy and a community that embraces social wellbeing, diversity, inclusion and the environment.