Across North Eastern Victoria - from the Goulburn Valley to the Ovens Murray and our Alpine regions we're delivering major upgrades plus vital safety and maintenance improvements.
Our North Eastern region takes care of communities across the city of Greater Shepparton; the rural cities of Benalla, Wangaratta and Wodonga; the shires of Alpine, Indigo, Mansfield, Moira, Murrindindi, Strathbogie and Towong; and the Alpine resorts of Mount Buller, Falls Creek, Mount Hotham, Lake Mountain and Mount Stirling.
What you told usIn 2017, we met with your communities and heard what was important to you. This was included in Country Roads: Your insights, our actions and involved:
- significant intermodal freight opportunities
- Shepparton Bypass a priority
- road safety a critical concern
- more can be done to improve key tourism destinations
- road signage is important
- improve roads to keep pace with increased population, tourism and industry
- interface with freight and growing residential areas
- cycling safety along the Great Alpine Road
- new ways to inform drivers of unique weather conditions in Alpine region
- safety around schools and main streets on country highways
- choke points in Wangaratta and Rutherglen.
You can view and download our Country Roads: Your insights, our actions [PDF 10.85 Mb].
What we're doing
Your feedback helped shape plans for the regional road network across North Eastern Victoria.
The 2018/19 Budget enabled us to deliver a range of important road repairs including:
- Katamatite-Yarrawonga Road and Murchison-Violet Town Road
- Benalla-Yarrawonga Road and Shepparton Alternative Route, Grahamvale
- Murray Valley Highway and Goulburn Valley Highway.
The 2019/20 Budget will support the delivery of more road repair and rehabilitation works such as:
- Sections of Goulburn Valley Highway at Shepparton
- Hume Freeway at Winton
- Shepparaton Alternative Route
- Maroondah Highway at Bonnie Doon
Meet your Regional Director
Steve Bowmaker - Regional Director, North Eastern Region
A proud resident of the north east, Steve is passionate about asset management and delivering for communities to ensure people get where they need to go safely and reliably.
Having previously led the maintenance and infrastructure teams at Shepparton City Council, Steve has had a diverse career that also includes experience in the health, finance and information technology sectors and he has worked across both state and federal Governments.
Steve’s passions include family, golf, working on his two old American cars and umpiring for the local junior footy league.