The freight and logistics sector contributes $21 billion to Victoria's economy and creates roughly 260,000 jobs for Victorians.
Led by a strong growth in Victoria's population, freight volumes are predicted to rise from 260 million tonnes in 2014 to nearly 900 million tonnes in 2051.
Regional Roads Victoria (RRV) will focus on ensuring major freight routes can meet the growing demand and support Victorian industries to continue to thrive.
There will be a focus on creating greater efficiency on major freight routes by:
- widening lanes and roads to accommodate wider trucks
- strengthening bridges and roads to support trucks carrying large loads
- smoothing out the road surface so goods are not damaged
- improving connections between industry, ports and domestic markets
- exploring more efficient vehicles and modes of travel
- enhancing liveability in regional communities with bypasses.